Friday 7 September 2012

Opening Night Review: Celebrating Folk Together




Well, the first night of the Ottawa Folk Festival presented by TELUS has come and gone. And what a great night it was. The weather couldn’t have been more perfect, the acts were phenomenal, and the music was divine.

But, as I circled around the huge crowd gathered around Matthew Good to make my way to the kettle corn stand, I asked myself, “What makes people come to Ottawa Folk Festival?” As I popped a kernel of salty caramel goodness in my mouth, I realized that this is what makes it so full of flavour: by celebrating the individual, it creates a taste with universal appeal.

For example, the lineup of the opening night was a diverse mix. The evening began with talented Canadian artists Danny Michel and Matt Mays, and local artists Kelly Sloan, and Missy Burgess. The BC-born Matthew Good, who engaged the audience with his views, voice, and guitar at the RavenLaw stage was complemented quite nicely by the Ethiopian-born, Finnish-raised Mirel Wagner at the Tartan Homes Stage, with her soft voice and soothing strums. To further develop this unique musical flavour of the evening, the American singer-songwriter Ben Harper rounded it off with an amazing display of talent, from the xylophone, to slide guitar, to piano, to a distinct magical voice.

After about a handful (or two) of kettle corn, I walked around the grounds and also noticed the
representation of our diverse social community. Fair Trade Ottawa, EnviroTent, eclectic Artisan Village
with clothing, accessories — within each tent there is something for everyone. The music may be what
brings us here, but the sense of belonging and awareness of who we are and where we come from is truly
unique.

As I stood in the crowd while Ben Harper played “When She Believes,” this time I thought about why
I was here at the festival. And while fighting back the lump in my throat, bathing in the sounds of his
acoustic guitar, and smiling at the crowd with whom I was sharing this moment, I realized that the reason
was really all around me.

Celebrating folk, in your own unique way, is best done with others.

And perhaps a fresh bag of hot kettle corn.

-Danielle

No comments:

Post a Comment